photo new_menu_home.png photo new_menu_aboutpsd.png photo new_menu_contactcopy1.png

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Our Love Story: Part 1 - How We Met

Today I thought I would share a little about my husband and I so that you can get to know me a little bit better.  My husband is my life and my rock, he is so amazing and I couldn't have asked for anyone better.

Here is our story:

It was the first semester of my Junior year at Weber State University.  I had signed up for a Zoology class thinking that it would be really easy (I later found out that I was certainly wrong).  I walked in to my first class of the semester keeping my eye open for any male hopefuls that I could flirt with.  Class was almost about to start and it was not looking promising, when in walked this tall, dark haired mysterious man wearing a motorcycle jacket and holding a motorcycle helmet.  He was definitely one that I had my eye on and wanted to talk to, however I would have to wait because class had now started.  He sat write in front of me which was perfect because I could stare at him all class without him seeing and thinking I was a creeper.

We went through the introductions of the class and I had learned that this mysterious handsome man's name was Derek and he had been in the class a previous semester but had failed it and was here to try again.  "Yes some leverage and something I could tease him about to get him to talk to me", I said to myself.  The teacher started getting into the material of the class and started asking questions.  Everyone was sitting there with confused looks on their faces except for Derek, he had notes from last semester and was answering the questions left and right. I leaned over my desk and said to him, "and how did you fail this class last semester?"  I only recall making fun of him a couple of times but to him apparently I wouldn't stop (this was my way of flirting).  The teacher told us that we would have a 5 minute break and to go walk around and get a drink.  Yes!! This was my chance to talk to him.  So I followed him to the drinking fountain and nicely started talking to him.  We had a really good conversation and it was looking promising to me.  

Class went on for another hour or so (it was a long class that went from 5:30p.m.-8:30p.m.)  after class was over a group of us walked towards the elevator.  In the elevator it was this handsome man, four other guys, and me.  Nobody was saying anything in the elevator and just looked straight ahead avoiding all converstaion. When little 19 year old me blurted out, "well this is awkward!"  Trying to get the attention of the handsome man that I wanted to get to know.  Everyone chuckled and then the elevator doors open and we were on our separate ways. 

Luckily,  Derek had parked his motorcycle in the direction I was going so we got to talk a little bit more, which I was so excited about.  We approached his motorcycle and I said to him, "is this your motorcycle?"  "Yes this is mine," he said.  "You should take me for a ride sometime," I quietly said flirting with him, and hinting that I wanted him to take me out.  He proceeded to take my number and told me he would call me sometime.  I was like a kid in a candy store, I was so excited that this sexy bad boy took my number and was going to call me.

On my drive home my phone buzzed and I anxiously looked it hoping that it was him, when to my surprise it was him!! I was so happy!  We talked for hours that night talking about our family, ourselves, what we were going in to in school and many other things.  It was like we had known each other for years.  

Later the next day I got a phone call from him asking me if I would like to go on a date.  He had asked if I would like to go camping with his family.  Wait what?! Camping with a stranger and his family?  I was a little frightened but knew it would be okay.  Don't worry everyone out there, I was a responsible lady and told him that I don't feel comfortable staying the night but could come up on Saturday and go four wheeling.  He agreed and we made our plans for that weekend.

The weekend had finally come for us to have our first date.  He was already up at Monte Cristo with his family and I told him I would meet him up there.  After getting lost and not having reception to figure out where he was, we finally met up and he took me to where they were camping.  I met his family and they were all really sweet to me and seemed really happy to have me there.  Derek grabbed my hand and told me that he wanted to take me on a four wheeler ride and we rode off into the trees.  It was such a great time and he was so sweet to me.  We went on many rides taking his nieces and nephews and then going with just us.  It was such a great day.  I remember leaning closer to him on one ride whispering in his ear, "I think I like you."  He smiled and said "me too."  It was the beginning of a beautiful relationship.


Tune in to next week to find out how long it took us to realize we were supposed to be together and then how much longer it was before we got married.  Some of you may be shocked!